I recently started a note on my phone to keep track of books and lit that I’ve either read or want to read for professional growth. It then seemed to make more sense to keep track of this publicly - why not share the work I’m using to reflect and grow in my own efforts?
This is generally more intended for long-read/physical stuff, as opposed to the more direct/practical resources in, e.g. my emulation-resources repository. Realistically I probably won’t have the energy to bookmark/log online reading like blog posts and journal articles, but we’ll see how it goes!
Books/items that I strongly recommend are starred.
- How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy , 2019 ★
- Animal Internet: Nature and the Digital Revolution , 2016
- A People's History of Computing in the United States , 2018
- Infinite Detail: A Novel , 2019
- The Theory and Craft of Digital Preservation , 2018 ★
- The Lifecycle of Software Objects (novella contained in Exhalation: Stories) , 2019 ★
- Tech For All: Moving Beyond the Digital Divide , 2019
- User Error: Resisting Computer Culture , 2003
- The Real World of Technology , 1999 ★
- Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software , 2000
- Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet , 2018 ★
- Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism , 2018 ★
- Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost Its Edge in Computing , 2018
- Black Software: The Internet & Racial Justice, from the AfroNet to Black Lives Matter , 2019
- Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World , 2018
- Human Operators: A Critical Oral History of Technology in Libraries and Archives , 2018
- Race After Technology: Abolitionist Tools for the New Jim Code , 2019
- Encoding Race, Encoding Class: Indian IT Workers in Berlin , 2016
- Design Justice: Community-Led Practices to Build the World We Need , 2020
- The Future of Another Timeline , 2019
- Temp: How American Work, American Business and the American Dream Became Temporary , 2018